Thursday, June 24, 2010

They call it Individuality, I call it eccentricity...

Why does expressing ones individuality these days have to be all about getting piercings, tattoos of all kinds, tattered clothes, dreads or growing afros, etc. ???

Don't sound like individuality to me! Sounds like people trying hard to be accepted by others - peer pressure of a sort. It's about creating the impression that you can get away with whatever you want. Rebelism. Conformity; what they've been trying escape from all along. Honestly, I think the word eccentricity is a more suitable word.

Hey, maybe I've got it all wrong. After all, what could I possibly know? I'm only but a 25 year old girl who has spent years growing up in a tiny city of 1,5 million in west Africa. What could I possibly know? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment